Dedicated Removal Proceedings Attorney in San Francisco & Benicia
At the Law Office of Geri N. Kahn, we assist individuals and families at risk of removal from the United States. As a removal proceedings lawyer, Geri Kahn works tirelessly to uphold the rights of clients and ensure a fair deportation hearing. Immigration law can be incredibly complex, and challenging the evidence brought by immigration officials can feel overwhelming. But with the help of an experienced immigration attorney in San Francisco & Benicia, you can chart a course towards a future in the United States.
Attorney Representation for Removal Proceedings
Removal proceedings are initiated when immigration officials believe an individual does not have a legal right to remain in the United States. While the reasons for deportation can be complicated, they typically fall into several broad categories.
- Expired visa – Overstaying a visa.
- Illegal entry – Entering the country without inspection.
- Visa violations – Taking employment in violation of the terms of the visa.
- Criminal grounds – Committing crimes, including violence, theft and other offenses.
- Visa misrepresentation – Document inaccuracies, marriages of convenience and other fraudulent activity.
If you are facing removal, it’s important to hire a deportation lawyer to defend you at court hearings. The initial master hearing will involve a review of charges, while the subsequent merits hearing is an opportunity for your attorney to present evidence in your favor. In striving for a successful resolution to removal proceedings, Geri will build a solid legal defense and identify options for relief.
Naturally, although each case requires a personalized approach, common examples of defense against removal include the following.
- Challenging the evidence presented by the Department of Homeland Security.
- Requesting a change of status from non-immigrant to immigrant through family ties.
- Seeking political asylum due to persecution in a person’s home country.
- Demonstrating residency in the U.S. for 10 years with good moral character.
Common Questions About Removal Proceedings
In some cases voluntary departure is a good option, as there will not be a removal action on your record. Returning to the U.S. is often easier without a formal removal action.
Every individual has the right to hire an attorney during deportation proceedings. However, this does not include free government-appointed counsel.
Top-Notch Removal Proceedings Law Firm in San Francisco & Benicia
If you are facing removal proceedings, the Law Office of Geri N. Kahn can help. Geri Kahn and her legal team are committed to assisting clients in achieving permanent residence and citizenship in the United States. To reach us, call our San Francisco office at (415) 397-5446 or our Benicia office at (707) 746-1813. You may also request a legal consultation now.